This week the conversation turned to @sbbuzz chats, new topic ideas, speakers, and other ideas for improving our weekly chats for everyone. We had some more Twitter glitches and gave our new FriendFeed room a chance to shine. All have been summarized below.
SBBuzz Chat focuses on encouraging dialogue between small business owners, techies, social media mavens and the folks who love them.
How to participate:
- Sbbuzz-ups are every other Tuesday this summer, next up is September 15th, 2009 from 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM Eastern Time. Join us – We’re here to facilitate the conversation between small business owners.
- Know small businesses that need help? Let them know when this chat happens, help them get started on Twitter and let’s talk!
- Instructions for participating are at http://sbbuzz.biz/instructions
sbbuzz: Q1 Why do you participate in #sbbuzz chats? In any other Twitter chats? What are you hoping to get out of the experience?
- lindadessau: @pmohara I’m STILL having technical difficulties. Internet’s been spotty all day, now TweetChat’s not liking me 😦 #sbbuzz
- virtuallyideal1: I am always looking for great ideas to help my clients and tips and strategies for my own business. Good group to chat with 🙂 #sbbuzz
- helpbusinesses: Q1: I like meeting other business owners and people with the same interest as us #sbbuzz
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz Q1: I participate because I learn a lot and I have consistently connected with high-quality tweeps with great insight.
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz I’ve tried a couple of other chats, but this has been the best combo of fun and informative.
- scoblitz: @sbbuzz Q1: I love the knowledge exchange. A great way to learn from others and a chance to share what I have learned. #sbbuzz
- rzazueta: If only the @twitter #API would always cooperate with us. #sbbuzz
- lindadessau: Q1 I attend #sbbuzz because I love getting to know people and chatting about small business – all from the comfort of my own home!
- searchguru: Q1: I participate in order to answer questions from others and help them #sbbuzz
- Chris_Hendricks: I participate in #sbbuzz chats because they are with others with like interests… I always get great advice from the experts # sbbuzz.
- chelpixie: Q1 I participate as I can because I want to help small businesses answer questions and save time. #sbbuzz
sbbuzz: Q2 Do you like the format of #sbbuzz chat (1/2 general discussion, 1/2 featured speaker)? Recommend any changes? #sbbuzz
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz q2: I do. I like it a lot. The only problem is I get zealous and answer the Qs intended for the speaker 😉
- desireescales: Trying to #sbbuzz tonight from my iPhone. Wish me luck..
- scoblitz: @sbbuzz Q2: Yes – the format is good, although sometimes I wish we had more time with the guests. #sbbuzz
- lindadessau: Q2 I like the format of #sbbuzz – gives us a chance to chat more informally and then get more focused once we’re “warmed up”
- sbbuzz: We’re still having Twitter probs, so if you feel adventurous join us at http://friendfeed.com/sbbuzz-chat (use your Twitter login) #sbbuzz
- merylevans: Q2 Format works for this chat. Every chat doesn’t have to follow a set formula as I’ve learned from another chat. #sbbuzz
- lindadessau: @rzazueta #sbbuzz I’ve done that, too – it’s hard to stop jumping in when we’re all so comfy with each other by that point of the evening.
I like the format, I like when have a speaker every other week. It seems more people get more answers when we have a general discussion with a speaker every other week. – chelpixie
I like the format – although sometimes I wish there was more time with the guests. – Scott Blitstein
sbbuzz: Q3 Any suggestions for new topics and/or speakers you would like to see on #sbbuzz? http://ff.im/7vPs2
- helpbusinesses: I cannot get into http://friendfeed.com/sbbuzz-chat unless I create an account. Will not take my twitter log-in #sbbuzz
- sbbuzz: Big sigh that technology is failing us everywhere tonight. Sounds like friendfeed is not letting some folks in w/Twitter login. #sbbuzz
- sbbuzz: So we’ll keep posting questions here, as well. Q3 Any suggestions for new topics and/or speakers you would like to see on #sbbuzz?
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz Q3: We do talk alot about generalities. Would like to see some specifics – like, how to use Twitter to gain customers or something.
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz the finance and general worksflow convos, though, have provided the most value to me so far. They’ve been revelatory.
- scoblitz: @helpbusinesses you’ll need to create a new account with your twitter credentials – then you can log in using that. #sbbuzz
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz choir of angels, bright light’s, the whole bit.
- helpbusinesses: @scoblitz okat rhanks for that clarity I appreciate it. #sbbuzz
Always keen to learn about new web tools and how people are using them. – Linda Dessau
I think I would like more detailed information from providers about specific services or their place in a category. – Scott Blitstein
Really – it is such a fine line between education vs. pitching. Any ideas on how to keep is useful? – Pamela O’Haragood point. I just really like learning the “why” behind design and dev decisions. – Scott Blitstein
I like hearing about community and development, but I’m not sure how useful that would be to small businesses. – chelpixie
To me it makes a product’s features mean something more than just a list – but agreed, might be too techie. – Scott Blitstein
sbbuzz: Q4 Would you like to see more product information on #sbbuzz? Does it need to be unbiased? http://ff.im/7vQt9
- helpbusinesses: Q4: I’d recommend mixing it up with large and small businesses as experts giving the pros & cons #sbbuzz
Concerned it could become too promotional. Depends how it’s handled. – Meryl K. Evans
To learn about better/faster ways to keep fans and sponsors connected – scott3sa
If the fine folks at BatchBlue think highly enough of someone to invite them on to present to us, that’s OK with me. – Linda Dessau
scott3sa and Linda, could you explain further what you’re interested in? – Meryl K. Evans
I’d prefer unbiased, but yes I’d love to hear more about things others are using and evangelizing. From the community, not necessarily companies. – chelpixie
You know what might be interesting is to have someone go through their list of products and why they chose them – could be an ongoing topic. – Scott Blitstein
Product information – word of mouth critiques is good – Chris Hendricks
I’m interested in collaboration tools and how people are using those. – Linda Dessau
sbbuzz: Q5 How is the geek:nongeek ratio of #sbbuzz? Do people feel they are getting enough technical information? Too much? http://ff.im/7vRCK
- helpbusinesses: Q5: I think you should do a combination of geek and non geek stuff to keep the variety of ppl around #sbbuzz
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz Q5: It’s just right for me, but I’m one of the ones who throws off the geek/non-geek balance.
I feel right at home – I don’t always relate to every single thing, but I’m catching on as things are said in context. – Linda Dessau
Same as Linda said. dont always relat but I am a quick study – scott3sa
I think we have a good mix of geeks / non-geeks to keep things interesting. I sometimes wish we could dig in deeper to some of the techie stuff but I know time doesn’t always permit that. – Scott Blitstein
Scott – any ideas on how we could dig deeper? Do we just need to spend more time w/Q&A with the speakers (remembering how exhausting it is for them) 🙂 – Pamela O’Hara
It’s not always with the speakers – but perhaps a place to do post-chat chats where we could follow up with more in-depth questions. – Scott Blitstein
Maybe we could dig deeper with side comments – like today I saw a great post on how to build a newsletter with WordPress. – Leora Wenger
I second what Linda said. Sometimes I know something well. Others, I pick up new information. – Meryl K. Evans
sbbuzz: Q6 Any suggestions for off-chat features (on the website, newsletter, etc.) we can use to enhance the chats? #sbbuzzhttp://ff.im/7vSU5
- scoblitz: @sbbuzz Q6: I like the idea of having a place for follow up chats or questions. #sbbuzz
- rzazueta: #sbbuzz I agree with @scoblitz – a forum or a Ning group or something would be great for off-topic or other convos.
- mattharrell: Q6: @sbbuzz I would love to offer use of @memberhub to keep the chats going. But perhaps your blog is the ideal place? #sbbuzz
Guest posts from some of the participants? More detail about participants in some posts? Ways to contribute links – the database idea? – Leora Wenger
Meryl – the amazing @chelpixie puts the transcripts on the sbbuzz.biz site within a couple of days after chat – Scott Blitstein
I think a list of post chat resources in addition to the transcript could be useful – culling the links together of items shared and things discussed. – Scott Blitstein
sbbuzz: Q7 Would product demonstrations be helpful? Should they be part of the chat – or a separate event? #sbbuzzhttp://ff.im/7vTYc
We could do some screencasts on how to use Tweetchat or how to set up Tweetdeck for a chat. – Scott Blitstein
I thought it was pretty easy even with the tech difficullties – scott3sa
Getting Twitter to behave would be great! – Scott Blitstein
Ooh – I like the idea of screencasts. And Scott H. – glad you kept up tonight. I’ve been moderating this chat for 6 months and *I* had a hard time following tonight. 😀 – Pamela O’Hara
- I would like for it to bring balance to the force… – Scott Blitstein
- Actually – I’m thrilled with it and how it has connected me with such great people. This is the best of the best here folks, and I’m proud to be a part of it. – Scott Blitstein
- Do we will. There is no try. 🙂 – Pamela O’Hara
- Awe. So back at you. Thanks so much to all of you for sticking around tonight and giving this feedback. I promise we’ll put it all to very good use! – Pamela O’Hara